In this brochure we heed at reptile reiter-ation and the how the divergent rudiments and regulatees implicated variegate in divergent figure. We heed at:
Spermatogenesis and oogenesis
Copulation and Fertilization
Parental lump qualification
Reproductive exertion as a fact fact trait
Principle worth per descendants
Environmental rudiments that concern reiter-ation
Reiter-ation is a hugely momentous countenance of perpetuation, and with 106 figure of reptile entity classed as “Critically Endangered” on the IUCN Red List of Intimidationened Figure , integral fragment of comprehension could be suited coercion preventing a figure seemly extinct.
Reiter-ation is exceedingly divers floatingst the divergent figure of reptile, and the three deep reproductive legislations are oviparity, ovovivicorrespondence and viviparity.
Sum the divergent legislations and methods creator from the singular evolutionary challenges that each divergent figure has encountered, having to commingle its reproductive regulatees to fly termination.
Uniconstitute floatingst figure that hold arelish reproductive legislations, there are clear exceptions in dissection, physiology and behaviour, ranging from the darken to the laughable, from self-fertilising, sum-fevirile lizard figure, to “living fossils” that compeer by cloacal continuity, imputtalented to the virile’s bankruptcy of a penis.
Other, obstruct uncommon, exceptions happen in reproductive cycles, pounce extent, mating and creatoral behaviour.
Coercion reiter-ation to be controltunate, twain the viriles and womanlys deficiency to be behaviourally and physiologically prime and unhesitating to compeer and propagate.
Reptiles atatguard to exhifragment 3 divergent emblems of reproductive cycle :
Associated cycles are despictalented and are uniformly base in figure that feed in mild zones and opportunityally symbolical environments, as these parts hold uniformityately crave periods agreetalented coercion reiter-ation . In figure with an associated cycle, oogenesis and spermatogenesis are established unitedly. Noble smooths of sex hormones bestow atatguard to be associated with gamete maturation, mating and fertilization .
An unfoldment is the galled anole, Anolis carolinensis, from southeastern United States. In these, virile and fevirile gonads unfold unitedly in the proceed, mating and egg origination happen in the summer, and twain virile and fevirile gonads regress in the autumn .
Dissociated cycles happen in viviparous figure that feed in areas where there is a inextensive education opportunity, and the best age coercion mating may refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented necessarily be the best age coercion origination of youthful .
An unfoldment is the red-sided garter snakes, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis. These compeer behind emerging from hibernation in the proceed, yet the gonads are refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented amply functional and sex steroids are at a sunk smooth. The sperm that was properd in the mating was manufactured the preliminary summer and was accumulationd in the virile’s vas deferens. The womanly’s eggs confirmed during the summer, and beagree fertilized by the accumulationd sperm from the proceed mating . This grants mating to happen at denning, when the viriles and womanlys are simultaneously, and grants the snake to proper the tranquillity of its free age to confirmed and gestate [4, 6].
Normal reproductive cycles alsunk the lewd to propagate at any aim throughextinguished the education opportunity . They despicablely happen in figure that feed in symbolical habitats . An unfoldment is the Amazonian Basin teiid, Neusticurus ecpleopus, where viriles hold “confirmed spermatozoa in the proper testis and epididymis during integral month of the year” and so can propagate sum year round.
Spermatogenesis and oogenesis
Spermatogenesis in reptiles is arelish to that of most other vertebrates . Spermatogenesis happens in the reptile’s testes; at-last, it has been refertalented attributtalented attributableed that reptilian bud cells are refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented organised into “consistent cellular associations” , and spermatids can be grouped with others from divergent mitotic and meiotic generations.
In the six-lined racerunner, Aspidoscelis sexlineatus, spermatids from the virile’s vas deferens hold bias midpieces, when-in-fact spermatids from the womanly’s oviducts hold direct midpieces. This indicates that the ulticompeer quantity of maturation of the spermatids happens in the womanly’s oviduct behind copulation .
Spermatogenesis in mild figure is faulty to summer, when it is fervider and subsistence further liberal. Therefore principle is further readily servicetalented coercion spermatogenesis, which is metabolically demanding . In opposition, spermatogenesis is a normal regusunworthy in symbolical reptiles .
Reptilian oogenesis happens in the ovaries, which are the office of yolk testimony . Vitellogenesis happens in the compeerrnal feedr, and yolk insists of glycogen, lipoproteins and phosphorylated proteins .
The ova is freed from the ovariegate demeanor and penetrates the oviduct at the ostium, the oviduct’s preliminary chink . Albumin testimony happens in the oviduct and at a dregs which is trusting on figure. Crocodilians and chelonians hold albumin deposited on the ovum in the tube idiosyncraticity of the oviduct, when-in-fact in squacompeer reptiles it is deposited in the subsequent disunite of the infundibulum .
Copulation and Fertilization
Sum reptile figure hold interior fertilization, yet can accomplish this in divergent fashions, depending on dissection, environment and other rudiments .
Sphenodontids, such as tuatara from Innovating Zealand, nobleest complete a refertalented attributtalented attributableicetalented petition, followed by copulation. They copusunworthy by a regusunworthy of cloacal continuity, as the viriles bankruptcy a clearive intromittent organ ].
Some figure, such as lacertid lizards and sum snakes, hold a amply paired reproductive regulate, including intromittent organs, refertalented attributtalented attributableorious as the hemipenes. They are intrusting and controlmal on either bregusunworthy of the midline .
The hemipenes unfold as paired evaginations from the tail of the cloaca and, when tabid, they are inverted, yet in regusunworthy to compeer, they apsharp-end with rank and dislodge . It is feasible to test figure of a colubrid snake from the extent, fashion and burden of the hemipenes .
The despictalented garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis, favours the proper-hand hemipenis, abundant relish cosmicals entity lefthanded or properhanded. The proper hemipenis is navigate and craveer than the left .
Virile chelonians hold a penis with a unique “midline groove that lies betwixt brace craveitudinal ridges”. These ridges alsunk the penis to engorge with rank when mating. The penis is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented associated with the urinary regulate, and properd pubelieve coercion reiter-ation .
Behind the virile reptile has ejaculated, the womanlys of numerous reptilian figure can accumulation the sperm if the reproductive cycle of the virile and fevirile do refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented concur .
In snakes, mating can happen sundry months in action and the womanlys can accumulation the sperm in the infundibulum; an unfoldment is the South American rattlesnake, Crotalus durissus. Fevirile lizards typically accumulation the sperm in the utero-vaginal transition of the oviduct, as seen in the diminutive brhold peelk, Scincella followingalis .
Fertilization happens when the ova penetadmonish the oviduct and as the sperm .
Numerous figure of reptile are oviparous and spread eggs, which can be disjoined into 3 deep groups:
Flexible-shelled eggs with diminutive or no calcareous spreader
Flexible-shelled eggs with a turbid, well-mannered-behaved-behaved-exposed calcareous spreader
Rigid-shelled eggs with a well-mannered-behaved-behaved-exposed calcareous spreader
The construction and turbidness of the shell membrane and the mineral spreader varies betwixt figure .
Most squacompeer reptiles proagree eggs that hold a very pliant shell ; some uniconstitute bankruptcy the calcareous mineral spreader. The void iguana, Dipsosaurus dorsalis, has babelieve a unmanagetalented shell membrane . Although the galled iguana, Iguana iguana, as-well-behaved is detriment the calcareous spreader, it stationary holds “isolated crystals of calcareous compeerrial floating the fibres of the shell membrane” .
Some squacompeer reptile eggs may hold the calcareous spreader, as in A. carolinensis, the eggs of which hold a attenuated calcareous envelope , organised into an riotous swampal of plaques, “with inferiorlying unmanagetalented spreaders of the membrane entity discernible betwixt the plaques” .
Turtles, including chelonids, chelydrids and most emydids, proagree eggs that hold a pliant shell, with a well-mannered-behaved-behaved-defined calcareous spreader roughly the concordant turbidness as the shell membrane . In ocean turtles, the calcareous compeerrial coercionms a incorrectly regular referableorious matrix, when-in-fact in emydids and chelydrids, the eggshell has calcareous compeerrial that is abundant further exceedingly constructiond .
Rigid eggshells are laid by a enumeadmonish of divergent figure, including:
Numerous figure of gecko
Rigid eggs hold a turbid, well-mannered-behaved-behaved-exposed calcareous spreader coercionming the preponderance of the shell .
Coercion the bud to outlast inbregusunworthy the egg, the shell deficiencys to be disuniteially penetrtalented granting gaseous diversify. Coming in unfoldment, the nobleest gaseous diversify happens in the yolk sac, and following in the chorioallantois . The preponderance of gaseous diversify happens behind oviposition, in the disposition in the nest room.
The shells can be disuniteially penetrtalented to introduce, and divergent figure wield this in manifold fashions. In some, the egg conciliate embrace sum the introduce claimd coercion bud unfoldment at oviposition, as seen in:
Some turtle figure
Most squacompeer reptile eggs hold a sunk introduce gratified at oviposition, and deficiency to assume introduce from the environment coercion controltunate unfoldment of the bud.
Ovovivicorrespondence happens when the bud unfolds inbregusunworthy an egg, yet the egg is holded inbregusunworthy the dame until unhesitating to prepare . Referefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributablewithstanding the bud entity holded, there is no well-mannered-behaved-behaved-exposed placenta and the scum of a shell can be base during coming budnic unfoldment .
In the harassing lizard, Sceloporus jarrovi, ovulation and fertilization happen betwixt sunworthy November and coming December, yet budnic unfoldment is hanging coercion 4 months in the blastoderm quantity. At this aim, the bud is encased in a shell and nutrients are tendd by the egg yolk. Behind unfoldment remains, placental coercionmation happens, and the yolk plegend a obstructer role. “Delayed unfoldment secures an ample subsistence afford coercion the youthful at disuniteurition and eliminates budnic unfoldment during wane when adult subsistence intake is faulty” .
The viviparous lizard, Lacerta vivipara, has some populations that are ovoviviparous, and these hold “substantial hormuncombined leakage betwixt dame and offproceed and betwixt fetuses”, and so compeerrnal hormuncombined smooths and emphasis are relishly to hold a speaking contact on the budnic unfoldment. Emphasis has been pretencen to swing fervent purpose , which can concern sexual purpose of the offproceed .
A viviparous reptile conciliate hold the buds in the oviduct until the neonate is amply coercionmed and is born. The preponderance of reptiles are oviparous, yet there are around 100 figure of lizard and snake that are viviparous, including:
Alligator lizards, Elgaria coerulea
Boa constrictor, Boa constrictor
Numerous figure of peelk
Turtle-headed ocean snakes, Emydocephalus ijimae
As there is a catholic multiformity of viviparous reptiles, it is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented ominous that they exhifragment “sum grades of budnic alimentation” , ranging from an obstructly sum trust on the accumulations of egg yolk, to a sum dependence on compeerrnal nutrient assign.
The South American peelk, Mabuya heathi, is viviparous and profits innovatingly ovulated eggs that are around 1mm in transection. The bud obtains further than 99% of its alimentation from placental assign from the dame. Pregnancy ultimates 8-12 months and the preponderance of the placental nutrient supplies happens in the ulticompeer 3 months of gestation.
There is no agreed doctrine why babelieve squacompeer reptiles pretence vivicorrespondence and nuncombined in chelonians or crocodilians. Recent theories insinuate that it evolved in colder climates, as the bud can boon from compeerrnal thermoregulatory behaviour, such as basking, granting the bud to unfold faster .
This does refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented balance that vivicorrespondence is tranquillityricted to cautiouser parts, and a enumeadmonish of viviparous figure of the section Sceloporus, be in twain fervid and cautious parts of variegateing eminence in the south-west of America and in Mexico .
The preponderance of reptile figure propagate sexually, yet a smsum enumeadmonish of figure are talented to propagate disunitehenogenetically. Asexual reptiles repeatedly hold three despictalented features: they start from the mixedization of brace figure, reiter-ation is from clonal heritage and sum are fevirile .
Unisexual reptiles were nobleest refertalented attributtalented attributableed in 1935, when it was refertalented attributtalented attributableed that there had never been any virile fox gecko, Hemidactylus garnoti, heedd . Disunitehenogenesis has been reputed in aggravate 30 figure of squacompeer reptile, in-great-measure xantusiids, gekkonids, lacertids and teiids . There is babelieve uncombined figure of snake that is disunitehenogenetic, the Brahminy eyeincomprehensive snake, Ramphotyphlops braminus.
Parthenogenesis reduces the costs of reiter-ation, as there is no principle invested in the viriles, and each idiosyncratic fevirile can propagate defiantly. It has the aidlessness that the descendants conciliate refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented amply commingle to changes in environment.
The disunitehenogenic womanlys proagree diploid eggs from ununworthy gametes, so sum offproceed are genetically particular to the creator .
Unisexual figure happen as a upshot of mixedization, and “each unisexual vertebadmonish figure combines at its course abundant of the genetic heterogeneousness of brace divergent sexual figure” . There are no legislationadmonish coercionms, tailcross genome combinations or mixed zones that mingle the creatoral taxa .
Parthenogenetic figure do refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented deficiency to propagate sexually, yet sexual behaviour does stationary happen. Some disunitehenogenetic figure of whiptail lizard, Cnemidophorus, hold been seen to spring others in pseudocopulation . This behaviour is obstructly particular to that of Cnemidophori lizards that are refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented disunitehenogenetic . This happens inferior solid qualifications and probably is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented aggregateied to reiter-ation .
Parental lump qualification
Reiter-ation is principle-expensive coercion most figure, yet the grade varies with figure and gender .
“Capital breeders” believe on principle that has been accumulationd as fleshys or proteins, rather than believeing on principle intake . This insinuates that there is a foundationation aspring of principle that is claimd to be accumulationd precedently the lewd is prime of reiter-ation . In reptiles, it is repeatedly associated with ambush predators, such as the European asp, Vipera aspis.
Babelieve womanlys hold an principle foundationation that is claimd antecedent to education, and fevirile V. aspis conciliate refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented try to propagate until “they exceed a urban minimal smooth of lump reserves coercion vitellogenesis” . In viriles, there is no principle-trusting foundationation, and in V. aspis, there is no refertalented attributtalented attributableicetalented discord in lump qualification betwixt reproductive and non-reproductive viriles . At-last, it has been refertalented attributtalented attributableed that there is a curtail in alimentation behaviour in virile vipers during the education opportunity, as viriles exercise further age and principle to answer a compeer.
Captive education ofSaint Croix’s anole, Anolis acutus, in the Caribbean, has pretencen that an extension in subsistence intake has no property on the reproductive exertion of womanlys, yet it did caproper an extension coercion viriles. Reproductive exertion is conducive as 100 x gonad burden / anatomical lump burden .
Another reptile where lump extent and qualification pretence no property on reiter-ation and balance egg pounce extent is Rodrigues’ lava lizard, Eurolophosaurus nanuzae. In this figure, fevirile reiter-ation is instead swingd by photoperiod, crave-term colonization and weather.
“Pay breeders” do refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented accumulation principle coercion reiter-ation; instead reiter-ation is fuelled by alimentation . It is usually a straight harmony, where an extension in the principle servicetalented upshots in an extension in reproductive extinguishedput .
The Oriental oasis lizard, Calotes versicolor, can be base in parts where there is an abundance of subsistence. It deeptains a accumulation of abdominal lump fleshy, which is properd to tend principle coercion vitellogenesis coercion the nobleest pounce of the opportunity. Behind this, they switch to entity pay breeders and believe on uniconstitute daily alimentation to proagree sufficient principle coercion any inferred pouncees of eggs.
Integral reptile figure has its hold biased reproductive behaviour associated with mating, nesting and caring coercion the youthful.
In the virile T. sirtalis parietalis, the noble of fevirile is swingd by the characteristics and attributes of the womanly. In garter snakes, it has been pretencen that catholicr, heavier womanlys are further desirtalented to the viriles and aggregateure further petition than trivialer, attenuatedner snakes].
It can be estimated that the eagerness of the mating behaviour in most virile reptiles is swingd by three rudiments:
Phenotypic countenances that swing power to emulate
Immanent aspect boons from mating
Eagerness of rivalry coercion mating
Virile T. sirtalis parietalis dispspread most petition behaviour when aluncombined with a womanly, and if there are numerous viriles sum competing coercion the concordant fevirile then they pretence a speaking subside in petition behaviour .
In other reptile figure, the virile can hold ostentations that could insist of coloured peel patches and resonant possession or undespictalented activities, such as in the “push-up ostentations” of the virile border-blotched lizard, Uta stansburiana . The aidlessness of this dispspread is a unworthy acquiescence in the leg muscle, which may be deficiencyed to evade a predator.
Virile embellished crevice-dragons, Ctenophorus ornatus, hold brightly coloured patches of peel on their chests. These can be properd to prognosticate the extent of a virile’s domain and how numerous womanlys feed in that domain .
Grave battle grants viriles to emulate coercion prevalence antecedent to mating, and the winner repeatedly gets the womanly. These battles insist of entwining with and meddling the foe to the ground to subimputtalented him. This is seen in a enumeadmonish of figure, including:
Australian ebonsnakes, Pseudechis porphyriacus
Western rattlesnake, Crotalus viridis
Numerous colubrids, including Chironius bicarinatus
Tuatara, Sphenodon punctatus
Snouted cobras conciliate refproper to compeer unobstruct they hold completeed a battle grave with another virile .
It is noble that the fevirile has a noble in disuniteners, and in C. ornatus, the womanlys pretence no indulgent floatingst divergent viriles, referefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributefficient attributablewithstanding the variegateing eagerness and colour of the virile’s dispspread patches . This could balance that the colours are coercion virile prevalence rivalrys rather than luring a compeer. Fevirile noble has babelieve been conclusively proven in a scant figure, including Lacerta agilis and sundry Anolis lizards .
In leopard geckos, Eublepharis macularius, the sexual and agonistic behaviour can be concerned by the gonadal sex and the incubation weather, as they twain concern sex steroid hormuncombined free . Fevirile leopard geckos that were incubated at an legislationadmonish weather were obstruct “attractive” to the virile geckos than womanlys that were incubated at fervider weathers .
The boon of creatoral anxiety aggravate a pounce of eggs could be to extension the fife admonish of the eggs. The creatoral anxiety may be in the coercionm of pating the nest office, egg brooding by sturdy thermogenesis or egg trappings.
Divergent reptile figure dispspread differing sums of creatoral anxiety. The preponderance do refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented exhifragment any creatoral anxiety, such as turtles. Those explaining creatoral anxiety embody:
Long-tailed peelks, Mabuya craveicaudata
Skinks of the section Eumeces
Asian coercionest tortoise, Manouria emys
Fevirile crocodilians afford catholic sums of creatoral anxiety to twain the eggs and the youthful behind prepareing. The womanlys conciliate redeep obstruct to the nest and pat it from immanent predators. The virile is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented bestow when the eggs are laid yet there may stationary be some virile role in nest security.
Youthful Nile crocodiles, Crocodylus niloticus, vocalise properness stationary in the egg and remain to do so behind prepareing . These calls guide the dame to the nest, who then referableoriouss it, aid the youthful evade from the shell and carries the prepareed youthful to introduce . Behind prepareing, the youthful may as-well-behaved afford diemphasis calls which would stimusunworthy pleasant behaviour by the adults . It is feasible that the youthful could be possession to each other, to synchronise prepareing and secure fife from predators .
Snakes explaining creatoral anxiety usually do so in the coercionm of egg trappings and pleasant behaviour, usually in figure that are either catholic or malignant, as these can amply pat the nests.
Pythons disuniteicipate in egg brooding which keeps the eggs fervid by sturdy thermogenesis, yet in Children’s pythons, Antaresia childreni, unimputefficient brooding can sdame the eggs, causing hypoxia imputtalented to the disuniteially penetrtalented shells. This can afford “smaller, slower and weaker” offproceed than the offproceed of pythons that do refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented egg-brood.
Reproductive exertion as a fact fact trait
The aspring of exertion expended in reiter-ation can concern the fife of the lewd or can concern coercionthcoming reiter-ation, and so a trade-off is claimd In squacompeer reptiles, fife costs repeatedly upshot from the “abandon of termination associated with a reproductive uniformt” , an unfoldment entity that a gravid fevirile has a unworthy mobility and is amply predated upon.
Reiter-ation claims extensiond principle and so the lewd conciliate claim a eminent subsistence intake, twain precedently copulation and during pregnancy. The coercionaging or hunting may legislationl them further at abandon from predators .
Reproductive costs inaugutrounce becaproper the lewd exercises principle to its prevalent reproductive bout. This principle canrefertalented attributtalented be properd coercion enlargement of the lewd and conciliate refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented afford a eminent fecundity during a following reproductive bextinguished .
In squacompeer reptiles, fife costs are considered further momentous than reproductive costs, and the trade-off betwixt bestow and coercionthcoming fecundities may refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented be speaking coercion numerous figure
The against arguments to this are that “exception in the coercionm of trade-offs relating offproceed extent and fife in-consequence concern harmonys floating pounce extent, referable-absolute pounce lump, and factage reproductive success”, and that the fashion in which adult decease is assumed in the unversified design can speakingly concern the conclusions encircling the immanent fecundity trade-offs .
The environment may concern the reproductive exertion, destabilising the trade-offs. An unfoldment of this would be an idiosyncratic that is in a faulty qualification, which could upshot in it getting a faulty domain and abstinence extensiond decease or unworthy fecundity as a upshot .
Twain fife and reiter-ation costs can be seen in the tree lizard, Urosaurus ornatus in Innovating Mexico, which spreads brace pouncees of eggs during the summer. It has been pretencen that reducing the eggs in the nobleest pounce, by surgically reducing the enumeadmonish of follicles, upshoted in womanlys that had a eminent fife admonishs, and catholicr relieve pouncees .
Numerous figure with inextensive fact ps atatguard to hold multiple pouncees each year and hold a noble pounce lump to fevirile lump narration. At-last, numerous figure with crave fact ps atatguard to be further tranquillityrained with their reproductive activities .
Principle worth per descendants
The principle invested in an egg by the dame has an property on the extent and sanity of the neonate in oviparous reptiles . Womanlys can proagree either catholic pouncees of numerous smsum eggs or smsum pouncees of catholic eggs .
Fevirile secret chameleon, Chamaeleo calyptratus proagree pouncees of 20-40 eggs, each opinion 1.5g . Fevirile Fiji banded iguana, Brachylophus fasciatus are the concordant extent yet proagree pouncees of 3-4 eggs, each opinion 10g .
In some figure, the eggs are trivialer than optimum imputtalented to the structural bustle of the extent of the womanly’s pelvis. The eggs of the painted turtle, Chrysemys picta are uniformityal to the width of the pelvis chink, so catholicr womanlys spread catholicr eggs . By opposition, sum lizards in the section Anolis proagree babelieve uncombined egg in each pounce, and this egg is extentd so that it is the catholicst that can maybe agree through the pelvis .
In sundry figure of lizard, the pounce extent is urban and “the fevirile is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented talented to bisect the principle invested during the unique reproductive bextinguished into further descendants”. These figure embody:
The extent of the egg generally extensions with the extent of the figure, yet it is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented instantly uniformityal. Catholicr figure hold trivialer offproceed referable-absolute to their adult lump extent than do smsum figure .
Some figure that hold varitalented pounce extents embody:
Numerous squacompeer retiles
The sum enumeadmonish of offproceed in a pounce is however trusting on the enumeadmonish of follicles manufactured, the uniformity of follicles that beagree vitellogenic and the stroke of atresia of vitellogenic follicles antecedent to ovulation .
It has been refertalented attributtalented attributableed that other rudiments can concern the extent of the pounce manufactured. An extensiond environmental weather precedent in the year has been pretencen to guide to precedent education, as well-mannered-behaved-behaved-behaved as giving an extensiond pounce extent, maybe imputtalented to “changes in the reproductive cycle and principle worth” .
Sum offproceed manufactured by oviparous reptiles hold characteristics that are “exceedingly trusting upon the substantial qualifications that the bud experiences antecedent to prepareing” , such as its age of prepareing, completeance abilities, extent, fashion, behaviour and thermoregulatory indulgents.
There is an inverse harmony betwixt offproceed extent and pounce extent, yet this can be swingd by compeerrnal lump extent .
Studies into the harassing lizard, Sceloporus virgatus, hold pretencen that there is no interdependence betwixt egg lump and compeerrnal lump lump . This is divergent to most turtle figure, where the apex feasible egg extent is faulty by the transection of the pelvic chink .
Snakes are refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented callous by the pelvic girdle, and so there is a decisive interdependence betwixt the width of the egg laid and the womanly’s lump.
Eggs in the concordant pounce atatguard to afford uniform-sized descendants. There are rabelieve aggravately catholic or smsum descendants, maybe becaproper eggs hold been unprotected to arelish hydric and fervent qualifications throughextinguished budgenesis, and so hold sum unfolded in the concordant fashion .
The phenoemblem of the reptile prepareing extinguished of the egg can be speakingly swingd by the “fervent regimes separated by the gravid fevirile controlthwith antecedent to spreading”, as well-mannered-behaved-behaved-behaved as subsistence availpower to the gravid womanly.
If the fevirile spreads catholic enumerates of eggs, then the alert and alimentational antagonism wiattenuated the pounce is sunk coercion reptiles, compared with birds .
In reptile figure, gender can be rooted either by genetics or weather In weather-trusting sex purpose of figure that spread eggs, the weather of the eggs is inferior by the nest weather, as with egg-brooding pythons . In viviparous figure, the weather is inferior by basking.
The thermoregulatory fact of viviparous reptiles can concern a enumeadmonish of characteristics of the descendants, including:
At weathers that proagree womanlys, the enzyme aromatase is indispenstelling and converts testosteruncombined to oestradiol, which binds to oestrogen receptors, triggering feminisation. At weathers that proagree viriles, the enzyme 5?-reductase is indispenstelling and converts testosteruncombined to dihydrotestosterone, which binds to androgen receptors, triggering divergentiation of testes .
In snapping turtles, eggs unfolding at “fevirile pliant weathers” hold a hormonal environment in which oestradiol concentrations withdraw at a slower admonish than those at “mixed sex weathers” or “virile pliant weathers” .
There are three patterns of weather-trusting sex purpose:
Males at cautious weathers, womanlys at fervid weathers
Females at cautious weathers, viriles at fervid weathers
Females at cautiousest and fervidest weathers, viriles at legislationadmonish weathers
The place of weathers that can afford twain sexes is typically babelieve 1°C and varies coercion each figure. The weather that affords 50% of each sex is refertalented attributtalented attributableorious as the “pivotal weather” .
Sum crocodilian figure exhifragment weather-trusting sex purpose . In the bbankruptcy caiman, Caiman latirostris, incubating the eggs at 29-31°C affords fevirile descendants, and incubating at 33°C affords virile descendants. At 34.5°C, twain virile and fevirile are prepareed
In the American sumigator, Sumigator mississippiensis, there are three emblems of nesting office, which sum hold differing weathers :
Humid swamp? 30°C
Dry swamp ? 34°C on summit and 30°C at peripheries
Alligators nesting in humid swampes proagree ncoming 100% fevirile descendants, and womanlys “atguard to pursue a weather environment that is as obstruct as feasible to that of their hold incubation” . This affords a skewed sex narration of ncoming 10 fevirile sumigators to 1 virile.
Temperature-trusting sex purpose was originally opinion to happen exclusively in figure that bankruptcy sex chromosomes, yet it has been pretencen to co-be with genetic-trusting sex purpose in some figure, including geckos and some peelks
Environmental rudiments that concern reiter-ation
It has been pretencen that environmental and nest weathers can concern the gender of the preparelings , and exceptions in weather can as-well-behaved concern rudiments such as coercionaging, education opportunitys and hibernation .
Clicompeer ferviding in China has been pretencen to transfer the oviposition dates of the Chinese sumigator, Sumigator sinensis, to precedent in the year, as well-mannered-behaved-behaved-behaved as to extension the balance pounce extent .
Ecological uniformts in the area tenanted by a reptile can as-well-behaved concern the reiter-ation, and cosmical land-management can be a superior rudiment. The void horned lizard, Phrynosoma platyrhinos, conciliate promote to inhafragment areas where creation grazing has happenred, presumably imputtalented to an abundance of victim figure. This would balance that there would be extensiond reproductive admonishs.
In southern Texas, beaming scrubland in the wane is despicableplace, and can hold an property on the reptile populations. “Wane beaming tends an extension in subsistence suppliess and guides to extensiond fife of Texas horned lizards, Phrynosoma cornutum, in the relieve growing opportunity behind fire” .
In other cases, habitat damage may hold an preventive property on the reiter-ation of reptiles. In Argentina, deforestation has been pretencen to hold an property on the Argentine boa constrictor, Boa constrictor occidentalis, disuniteicularly causing a curtail in lump qualification, pounce extent and testicular book .
Figure exceptions in reptile reiter-ation may be totally catholic, with some figure talented to propagate at any age throughextinguished the year and others having dissociative reproductive cycles where the fevirile can “store” the virile’s sperm . Other countenances are typically obstruct divers; spermatogenesis and oogenesis are arelish in most figure .
Anatomical figure discords can be seen in the construction of the virile reproductive organs. Some, such as tuatara bankruptcy a penis at sum , when-in-fact snakes hold brace hemipenes . In testudines the penis is properd simply coercion reiter-ation and is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented uniconstitute conjoined to the urinary believe .
Reptilian fact-fact traits can variegate betwixt figure and embody pounce extent, offproceed extent and legislation of correspondence.
Some reptile figure are oviparous and spread eggs, such as the gulf viper, Trimeresurus flavoviridis , some oviparous figure are uniconstitute disunitehenogenetic and sum-female. Others are ovoviviparous, relish S. jarrovi and others are viviparous and proagree feed youthful, such as M. heathi .
Reproductive behaviour as-well-behaved varies betwixt figure and can aid the reptile excellent a agreetalented compeer and creatoral anxiety can aid secure the fife of the descendants, uniconstitute if it is injurious to the sanity of the creator .
There is a clear trade-off betwixt reproductive exertion and fife of the offproceed and the creator, and divergent figure compete with this in divergent fashions. Some proagree catholic pouncees and hold babelieve a smsum uniformity of these outlast to adulthood when-in-fact others hold trivialer pouncees with a eminent fife narration .
1. IUCN. IUCN Red List of Intimidationened Figure. Version 2010.4. 2011 10th April 2011]; Servicetalented from: http://www.iucnredlist.org.
2. Jones, R.E. and D.O. Norris, Hormones and reiter-ation in fishes, amphibians, and reptiles / edited by David O. Norris and Richard E. Jones, 1987, Innovating York : Plenum Press, c1987.
3. Jenssen, T.A., M.B. Lovern, and J.D. Congdon, Field-Testing the Protandry-Based Mating Sycreator coercion the Lizard, Anolis carolinesis: Does the Design Organism Hold the Proper DesignBehavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 2001. 50(2): p. 162-172.
4. Crews, D. and R.G. Conciliateiam, The Ecological Physiology of a Garter Snake. (caggravate romance). Scientific American, 1982. 247(5): p. 158-168.
5. Sherbrooke, W.C., Reproductive Cycle of a Symbolical Teiid Lizard, Neusticurus ecpleopus Compete, in Peru. Biotropica, 1975. 7(3): p. 194-207.
6. Harvey Pough, A., Cadle, Crump, Savitzky, Well-mannered-behaved-behaveds, Herpetology2004.
7. Rua, M. and P. Galan, Reproductive characteristics of a sunkland population of an alpine lizard: Lacerta monticola (Squamata, Lacertidae) in north-west Spain. Lewd Biology, 2003. 53(4): p. 347-366.
8. Gribbins, K.M., et al., Normal spermatogenesis and the bud cell unfoldment manoeuvre wiattenuated the testis of the Jamaican Gray Anole, Anolis lineatopus. Theriogenology, 2009. 72(4): p. 484-492.
9. Innovatington, W.D. and S.E. Trauth, Ultraconstruction of the Spermatozoon of the Lizard Cnemidophorus sexlineatus (Sauria: Teiidae). Herpetologica, 1992. 48(3): p. 330-343.
10. Olsson, M., T. Madsen, and R. Shine, Is sperm truly so cheapCosts of reiter-ation in virile adders, Vipera berus.
11. Hernandez-Gallegos, O., et al., Normal Spermatogenesis in the Lizard Sceloporus bicanthalis (Sauria: Phrynosomatidae) from Noble Elevation Habitat of Central Mexico. Herpetologica, 2002. 58(4): p. 415-421.
12. Hei, N., et al., Fine structural remark on the oogenesis and vitellogenesis of the Chinese soft-shelled turtle ( Pelodiseus sinensis). Zygote (Cambridge, England). 18(2): p. 109-120.
13. Guillette, L.J., S.L. Fox, and B.D. Palmer, Oviductal Morphology and Egg Shelling in the Oviparous Lizards Crotaphytus-Collaris and Eumeces-Obsoletus.
14. Moore, J.A., et al., Opportunityal monogamy and multiple paternity in a untamed population of a territorial reptile (tuatara). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2009. 98(1): p. 161-170.
15. Arnold, E.N., The hemipenis of lacertid lizards (Reptilia: Lacertidae): construction, exception and regulateatic implications. Journal of Natural Fact, 1986. 20(5): p. 1221.
16.Shine, R., et al., Are snakes proper-handed Asymmetry in hemipenis extent and manner in gartersnakes (Thamnophis sirtalis). Bearingal Ecology, 2000. 11(4): p. 411-415.
17. Branch, W.R., Hemipenial Morphology of African Snakes: A Taxonomic Review. Disunite 1. Scolecophidia and Boidae. Journal of Herpetology, 1986. 20(3): p. 285-299.
18. Dowling, H.G., Hemipenes and Other Characters in Colubrid Classification. Herpetologica, 1967. 23(2): p. 138-142.
19. Rivera, S., Sanity Assessment of the Reptilian Reproductive Believe. Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine, 2008. 17(4): p. 259-266.
20. Yamanouye, N., et al., Reproductive cycle of the Neosymbolical Crotalus durissus terrificus: II. Establishment and deeptenance of the uterine sturdy distortion, a manoeuvre coercion crave-term sperm storage. General & Comparative Endocrinology, 2004. 139(2): p. 151-157.
21. Sever, D.M. and W.A. Hopkins, Oviductal sperm storage in the ground peelk Scincella followingale holbrook (Reptilia : Scincidae).
22. Packard, M.J., G.C. Packard, and T.J. Boardman, Construction of Eggshells and Introduce Relations of Reptilian Eggs. Herpetologica, 1982. 38(1): p. 136-155.
23. Rand, A.S., Desiccation Admonishs in Crocodile and Iguana Eggs. Herpetologica, 1968. 24(2): p. 178-180.
24. Andrews, R. and A.S. Rand, Reproductive Exertion in Anoline Lizards. Ecology, 1974. 55(6): p. 1317-1327.
25. Packard, G.C., et al., Swing of Moisture, Weather, and Substadmonish on Snapping Turtle Eggs and Buds. Ecology, 1987. 68(4): p. 983-993.
26. Packard, G.C., et al., Changes in Lump of Softshell Turtle (Trionyx spiniferus) Eggs Incubated on Substrates Differing in Introduce Immanent. Herpetologica, 1979. 35(1): p. 78-86.
27. Phillott, A.D. and C.J. Parmenter, The ultraconstruction of ocean turtle eggshell does refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented tend to interfigure exception in fungal encroachment of the egg. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 2006. 84(9): p. 1339-1344.
28. Grahame, J.W.W. and C.-P. Harvey, Propertys of Incubation Weather on Crocodiles and the Evolution of Reptilian Oviparity. American Zoologist, 1989. 29(3): p. 953-971.
29. Deeming, D.C. and T.R. Whitfield, Property of shell emblem on the conformation of chelonian eggs.
30.Packard, G.C., Introduce Relations of Chelonian Eggs and Buds: Is Humidter BetterAmerican Zoologist, 1999. 39(2): p. 289-303.
31.Kratochvil and D. Frynta, Lump-extent property on egg extent in eublepharid geckos (Squamata: Eublepharidae), lizards with invariant pounce extent: indirect sumometry coercion egg extent in ectotherms is refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented complete. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2006. 88(4): p. 527-532.
32. Thompson, M.B. and K.J. Russell, Enlargement and alerts of buds of the gecko, Phyllodactylus marmoratus, a figure with hard-shelled eggs.
33. Sexton, O.J., et al., Eggshell conformation of squacompeer reptiles: Harmony betwixt eggshell permepower and amino acute disposal.
34. Kratochvil, L. and D. Frynta, Egg fashion and extent sumometry in geckos (Squamata: Gekkota), lizards with oppositioning eggshell construction: why spread round eggsJournal of Zoological Regulateatics & Evolutionary Research, 2006. 44(3): p. 217-222.
35. Nicola, J.N., et al., Egg lump determines prepareling extent, and incubation weather swings post-hatching enlargement, of tuatara Sphenodon punctatus. Journal of Zoology, 2004. 263(1): p. 77-87.
36. Uller, T. and M. Olsson, Direct Exposure to Corticosteruncombined During Budnic Unfoldment Swings Behaviour in an Ovoviviparous Lizard. Ethology, 2006. 112(4): p. 390-397.
37. Goldberg, S.R., Reproductive Cycle of the Ovoviviparous Iguanid Lizard Sceloporus jarrovi Compete. Herpetologica, 1971. 27(2): p. 123-131.
38. Cree, A., et al., Protecting buds from emphasis: corticosteruncombined propertys and the corticosteruncombined repartee to seize and limitation during pregnancy in a feed-bearing lizard (Hoplodactylus maculatus). General And Comparative Endocrinology, 2003. 134(3): p. 316-329.
39. Andrews, R.M., Incubation Weather and Sex Narration of the Secret Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus). Journal of Herpetology, 2005. 39(3): p. 515-518.
40. Robert, K.A. and M.B. Thompson, Vivicorrespondence and weather-trusting sex purpose. Sexual Unfoldment: Genetics, Molecular Biology, Evolution, Endocrinology, Budlogy, And Pathology Of Sex Purpose And Divergentiation. 4(1-2): p. 119-128.
41. Shine, R., Does Vivicorrespondence Evolve in Cold Clicompeer Reptiles Becaproper Pregnant Womanlys Deeptain Sttalented (Refertalented attributtalented Noble) Lump WeathersEvolution, 2004. 58(8): p. 1809-1818.
42.Vitt, L.J. and W.E. Cooper, Jr., Compeerrnal Anxiety in Peelks (Eumeces). Journal of Herpetology, 1989. 23(1): p. 29-34.
43. Wen-san, H. and W. Hurng-Yi, Predation Abandons and Anti-Predation Creatoral Anxiety Bearing: An Experimental Study in a Symbolical Peelk. Ethology, 2009. 115(3): p. 273-279.
44. Masunaga, G., et al., Reproductive biology of the viviparous ocean snake Emydocephalus ijimae (Reptilia : Elapidae : Hydrophiinae) inferior a opportunityal environment in the northern hemisphere.
45. Ebonburn, D.G. and L.J. Vitt, Specializations of the chorioallantoic placenta in the Brazilian scincid lizard, Mabuya heathi: A innovating placental morphoemblem coercion reptiles.
46. Zhang, D.J., et al., Property of gestation weather on sexual and morphological phenotypes of offproceed in a viviparous lizard, Eremias multiocellata.
47. Mendez-de la Cruz, F.R., M.V.n.-S. Cruz, and R.M. Andrews, Evolution of Vivicorrespondence in the Lizard Section Sceloporus. Herpetologica, 1998. 54(4): p. 521-532.
48. Maslin, T.P., Disunitehenogenesis in Reptiles. American Zoologist, 1971. 11(2): p. 361-380.
49. The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. [Vertebrata]: Reptilia and amphibia by M.A. Smith.
50. Neaves, W.B. and P. Baumann, Unisexual reiter-ation floating vertebrates. Trends in Genetics. 27(3): p. 81-88.
51.Kamosawa, M. and H. Ota, Reproductive Biology of the Brahminy Eyeincomprehensive Snake (Ramphotyphlops braminus) from the Ryukyu Archipelago, Japan. Journal of Herpetology, 1996. 30(1): p. 9-14.
52.Cole, C.J. and C.R. Townsend, Sexual behaviour in unisexual lizards. Lewd Behaviour, 1983. 31(3): p. 724-728.
53. Leuck, B.E., Comparative Social Bearing of Bisexual and Unisexual Whiptail Lizards (Cnemidophorus). Journal of Herpetology, 1985. 19(4): p. 492-506.
54. Aubret, F., et al., Fleshy Is Sexy coercion Womanlys yet Refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented Viriles: The Swing of Lump Reserves on Reiter-ation in Snakes (Vipera aspis). Hormones & Bearing, 2002. 42(2): p. 135.
55. Bonnet, X., Capital versus pay education: an ectothermic perspective. Oikos, 1998. 83(2): p. 333-342.
56. Jonsson, K.I., Capital and pay education as rare management of supplies proper in reiter-ation. Oikos, 1997. 78(1): p. 57-66.
57. Naulleau, G. and X. Bonnet, Lump Qualification Foundationation coercion Education in a Viviparous Snake. Oecologia, 1996. 107(3): p. 301-306.
58. Bonnet, X. and G. Naulleau, Are Lump Reserves Momentous coercion Reiter-ation in Virile Dark Galled Snakes (Colubridae: Coluber viridiflavus)Herpetologica, 1996. 52(2): p. 137-146.
59. Rose, B., Subsistence Intake and Reiter-ation in Anolis acutus. Competeia, 1982. 1982(2): p. 322-330.
60. Assis, V.c.B., et al., Reiter-ation and Fleshy Lump Cycle of Eurolophosaurus nanuzae (Sauria; Tropiduridae) from a Opportunityal Montane Habitat of Southeastern Brazil. Journal of Herpetology, 2003. 37(4): p. 687-694.
61. Shanbhag, B.A., Reproductive strategies in the lizard, Calotes versicolor.
62. Langkilde, T., R. Shine, and R.T. Mason, The Opportunistic Serpent: Virile Garter Snakes Adjust Petition Management to Mating Opportunities. Behaviour, 2003. 140(11/12): p. 1509-1526.
63. Aleksiuk, M. and P.T. Gregory, Purpose of Opportunityal Mating Bearing in Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis. Competeia, 1974. 1974(3): p. 681-689.
64. Shine, R., et al., Pick on someuncombined your hold extent: ontogenetic transfers in compeer noble by virile garter snakes upshot in extent-assortative mating.
65. Shine, R. and P. Harlow, The transvestite serpent: Why do virile garter snakes pursue (some) other virilesLewd Behaviour, 2000. 59(2): p. 349.
66.Shine, R., D. O’Connor, and R.T. Mason, Fevirile parody in garter snakes: behavioural management of “she-males” and the viriles that pursue them.
67. Sullivan, B.K. and M.A. Kwiatkowski, Petition ostentations in anurans and lizards: presumptive and tentative contributions to our inferiorstanding of costs and excellention on viriles imputtalented to fevirile noble. Functional Ecology, 2007. 21(4): p. 666-675.
68. Brandt, Y., Lizard intimidation dispspread handicaps acquiescence. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 2003. 270(1519): p. 1061-1068.
69. Shine, R., et al., Mating and Virile Battle in Australian Ebonsnakes, Pseudechis porphyriacus. Journal of Herpetology, 1981. 15(1): p. 101-107.
70. Aldridge, R.D., Virile Reproductive Disindividuality and Opportunityal Happenrence of Mating and Battle Bearing of the Rattlesnake Crotalus v. viridis. Journal of Herpetology, 1993. 27(4): p. 481-484.
71. Almeida-Santos, S.M. and O.A.V. Marques, Virile-virile grave battle in the colubrid snake Chironius bicarinatus from the Atlantic Coercionest, southeastern Brazil.
72. Gans, C., J.C. Gillingham, and D.L. Clark, Petition, Mating and Virile Battle in Tuatara, Sphenodon punctatus. Journal of Herpetology, 1984. 18(2): p. 194-197.
73. Shine, R., et al., Ecology of cobras from southern Africa. Journal of Zoology, 2007. 272(2): p. 183-193.
74. Swampall, N.J. and R.L. Natasha, No Evidence of Fevirile Noble coercion a Qualification-Trusting Trait in the Agamid Lizard, Ctenophorus ornatus. Behaviour, 2001. 138(8): p. 965-980.
75. Tokarz, R.R., Compeer Noble in Lizards: A Review. Herpetological Monographs, 1995. 9: p. 17-40.
76. Rhen, T. and D. Crews, Organization and Activation of Sexual and Agonistic Bearing in the Leopard Gecko, Eublepharis macularius. Neuroendocrinology, 2000. 71(4): p. 252-261.
77. Flores, D., A. Tousignant, and D. Crews, Incubation weather concerns the bearing of adult leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius). Physiology & Bearing, 1994. 55(6): p. 1067-1072.
78. Bohme, W. and H. Nickel, Who was the nobleest to heed creatoral anxiety in crocodilesHERPETOLOGICAL BULLETIN, 2000(74): p. 16-18.
79. Vergne, A.l.L., et al., Creator-offproceed despatch in the Nile crocodile Crocodylus niloticus: do innovatingborns’ calls pretence an idiosyncratic signatureDie Naturwissenschaften, 2007. 94(1): p. 49-54.
80. Herzog, H.A., Jr., An Remark of Nest Chink by an American Sumigator Sumigator mississippiensis. Herpetologica, 1975. 31(4): p. 446-447.
81. Shine, R., et al., The Swing of Nest Weathers and Compeerrnal Brooding on Prepareling Phenotypes in Introduce Pythons. Ecology, 1997. 78(6): p. 1713-1721.
82. Lee, D.S., Feasible Despatch betwixt Eggs of the American Sumigator. Herpetologica, 1968. 24(1): p. 88-88.
83. Stahlschmidt, Z. and D.F. Denardo, Creatoral bearing in pythons is echoing to twain the hydric and fervent dynamics of the nest. The Journal Of Experimental Biology. 213(Pt 10): p. 1691-1696.
84. Stahlschmidt, Z.R. and D.F. Denardo, Obligate costs of creatoral anxiety to descendants: egg brooding-indispenstelling hypoxia creates trivialer, slower and weaker python descendants. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2009. 98(2): p. 414-421.
85. Bell, G., The Costs of Reiter-ation and Their Consequences. American Naturalist, 1980. 116(1): p. 45-76.
86. Niewiarowski, P.H. and A.E. Dunham, Propertys of Decease Abandon and Enlargement on a Design of Reproductive Exertion: Why the Shine and Schwarzkopf Design is Refertalented attributtalented attributtalented attributtalented General. Evolution, 1998. 52(4): p. 1236-1241.
87. Shine, R., “Costs” of Reiter-ation in Reptiles. Oecologia, 1980. 46(1): p. 92-100.
88.Shine, R. and L. Schwarzkopf, The Evolution of Reproductive Exertion in Lizards and Snakes. Evolution, 1992. 46(1): p. 62-75.
89. Niewiarowski, P.H. and A.E. Dunham, The Evolution of Reproductive Exertion in Squacompeer Reptiles: Costs, Trade- Offs, and Assumptions Reconsidered. Evolution, 1994. 48(1): p. 137-145.
90.Allan, J.L., Manipulation of Egg Origination Reveals Costs of Reiter-ation in the Tree Lizard (Urosaurus ornatus). Oecologia, 1994. 100(3): p. 243-249.
91. Tinkle, D.W., The Concept of Reproductive Exertion and Its Relation to the Evolution of Fact Histories of Lizards. American Naturalist, 1969. 103(933): p. 501-516.
92.Wallace, B.P., et al., Egg components, egg extent, and prepareling extent in leathertail turtles. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Disunite A, 2006. 145(4): p. 524-532.
93. Woodward, D.E. and J.D. Murray, On the Property of Weather-Trusting Sex Purpose on Sex Narration and Survivorship in Crocodilians. Proceedings B: Biological Sciences, 1993. 252(1334): p. 149.
94.Ford, N.B. and R.A. Seigel, An Experimental Test of the Fractional Egg Extent Hypothesis.
95. Zhang, F., et al., Clicompeer ferviding and reiter-ation in Chinese sumigators. Lewd Perpetuation, 2009. 12(2): p. 128-137.
96. Olsson, M., et al., Paternal Genoemblem Swings Incubation Period, Offproceed Extent, and Offproceed Fashion in an Oviparous Reptile. Evolution, 1996. 50(3): p. 1328-1333.
97. Shine, R., Reiter-ation in Australian elapid snakes II. Fevirile reproductive cycles. Australian Journal of Zoology, 1977. 25(4): p. 655.
98. Shine, R. and P. Harlow, Compeerrnal Thermopurpose Swings Offproceed Vipower in a Viviparous Lizard. Oecologia, 1993. 96(1): p. 122-127.
99. Burger, J., Incubation Weather Has Crave-Term Propertys on Behaviour of Youthful Pine Snakes (Pituophis melanoleucus). Bearingal Ecology and Sociobiology, 1989. 24(4): p. 201-207.
100. Abell, A.J., Exception in Pounce Extent and Offproceed Extent Referable-absolute to Environmental Qualifications in the Lizard Sceloporus virgatus. Journal of Herpetology, 1999. 33(2): p. 173-180.
101. Congdon, J.D. and J.W. Gibbons, Egg Components and Reproductive Characteristics of Turtles: Harmonys to Lump Extent. Herpetologica, 1985. 41(2): p. 194-205.
102. Coerciond, N.B. and R.A. Seigel, Harmonys floating Lump Extent, Pounce Extent, and Egg Extent in Three Figure of Oviparous Snakes. Herpetologica, 1989. 45(1): p. 75-83.
103. Shine, R., A Innovating Hypothesis coercion the Evolution of Vivicorrespondence in Reptiles. American Naturalist, 1995. 145(5): p. 809-823.
104. Denis, C.D. and W.J.F. Mark, The Mechanism of Weather Trusting Sex Purpose in Crocodilians: A Hypothesis. American Zoologist, 1989. 29(3): p. 973-985.
105. Innovatingbold, T.A.S. and J.A. MacMahon, Consequences of Creation Introduction in a Shrubsteppe Ecosystem: Indirect Propertys on Void Horned Lizards (Phrynosoma Platyrhinos).
106. Hellgren, E.C., et al., The Propertys of Wane Beaming and Grazing on Suppliess and Fife of Texas Horned Lizards in a Thornscrub Ecosystem. Journal of Untamedfact Wieldment. 74(2): p. 300-309.
107. Cardozo, G. and M. Chiaraviglio, Landscape changes swing the reproductive behaviour of a clew ‘capital breeder’ snake (Boa constrictor occidentalis) in the Gran Chaco part, Argentina. Biological Perpetuation, 2008. 141(12): p. 3050-3058