Examine a global health issue and consider the approach to this issue by the United States and by one other country.
- Review the World Health Organization’s (WHO) global health agenda and select one global health issue to focus on for this Assignment.
- Select at least one additional country to compare to the U.S. for this Assignment.
- Reflect on how the global health issue you selected is approached in the U.S. and in the additional country you selected.
- Review and download the Global Health Comparison Matrix provided in the Resources.
3 References and APA Format
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Global Health Comparison Matrix; 1-page Plan for Social Change)
Part 1: Global Health Comparison Matrix
Focusing on the country you selected and the U.S., complete the Global Health Comparison Matrix. Be sure to address the following:
- Consider the U.S. national/federal health policies that have been adapted for the global health issue you selected from the WHO global health agenda. Compare these policies to the additional country you selected for study.
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of each policy.
- Explain how the social determinants of health may impact the global health issue you selected. Be specific and provide examples.
- Using the WHO’s Organization’s global health agenda as well as the results of your own research, analyze how each country’s government addresses cost, quality, and access to the global health issue selected.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the health of the global population. Be specific and provide examples.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the role of the nurse in each country.
- Explain how global health issues impact local healthcare organizations and policies in both countries. Be specific and provide examples.
Part 2: A Plan for Social Change
Reflect on the global health policy comparison and analysis you conducted in Part 1 of the Assignment and the impact that global health issues may have on the world, the U.S., your community, as well as your practice as a nurse leader.
In a 1-page response, create a plan for social change that incorporates a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how you would advocate for the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens might impact your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice as a nurse leader represents and contributes to social change. Be specific and provide examples.
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.